Monday, July 13, 2009

4th of July in a small town


I grew up in a small town. I know there are stereotypes about the "hicks" from the farming communities. I used to hate it. Having to drive 45 minutes just to go to a real grocery store, or to the mall or to the movies. Living out in the country with no friends to hang out with, as a teenager that was just the worst. So, my husband and I moved our family to the country 2 years ago. To the thing I grew up hating. Looking back, I didn't really hate it, I remember only the good that came from it. The close knit community that always had your back, the friends that you grew up with and have known since Kindergarten, the work ethic of middle class America, the pride of working the ground and helping on the family farm, and the patriotism at the small town parade. Yes, it's great to go to the "big city" parades and see all of the hoopla and the big "bang" of the 4th of July fireworks. I think that it's even better, though, to be a part of a "small town" parade, and sit on a trailer next to my son, the proud Cub Scout who is learning all about loving his country, honoring and respecting his parents and other adults, and knowing the love of Jesus. So, we didn't see Rozzi's fireworks this year, but we did spend time with family and enjoyed a very small town's 4th of July parade that was BIG on patriotism and honor.




No comments:

Post a Comment